Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The conscionable killer

No person, nor people
Are my enemy
All are my brothers and sisters
All are my mother's and father's
All are my children
We are one

In no way, shape or form
Do I condone murder
And yet
How can I not
Living in this country
This society
This culture
My very presence
Necessitates the deed

How can I conscionably abide
Idly aside
While the food I eat
The water I drink
The place I call home
The government I uphold
The commodities I consume
The ideas I'm taught in school
The very ideals and beliefs
My country
My culture
My society profess
I fundamentally disagree with

What one does to another
They do onto themselves
We've been raised as separatists
And in our self imposed isolation
Have we forgotton our humanity
Our divinity

We've been bred to seek security and comfort
So much so
Most manage to make themselves forget
The immediacy of their own demise
To the loss
Of the true luster and love of life

I've done nothing, to too little
For far too long
Something must be done
And in so doing
Be changed
Yet no thing is changed outwardly
That isn't firstly changed from within
So I see
That it is I that must change
If this world is to change

No comments: